The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Sunday, June 1, 2014

September 10, 1862...Philip's letter continues...

                                                                               "Sept 10

I woke up this morning feeling pretty tough but I think a little better than yesterday [.]  There is no Enemy in sight or hearing this morning ~ there was 6 miles of artillery passed up this morning [.] I wished you could see a full Army once we have had good opportunities to know what war is [.] Every thing is desolate ~ here Land is trod down & corn fields stripped & I must tell you how tall corn grows ~ it is like Ohio Corn [.] I actually saw some yesterday 12 ft high but it usually averages about 10 or 11 ft ~ the country is not worth fighting for but we are here now & we will do the best we can but I forgot to tell you how we look ~ here on every side of us there are thousands of troops & almost in sight of us I know of a thousand of Cavalry & one Regiments of Lancers & mules we see by the hundred also baggage wagons by the miles of them ~ there are over 100,000 of troops directly ahead of us so you see we are far from fighting yet - we are all prepared ~ we sleep in our Arms every night & ready to be formed into line of battle in 3 minutes ~ we have been brigaded into Gen. Barletts Brigade an[d] put into Major General slocum division & all under Gen McClellan so you will know about where to find us in case I can not write to you. [.] I happened to be very Lucky or I could not have written this time ~ you see we left every thing in our knapsacks ~ they was not but one man that brought envelopes ~ he gave me an old one if I would get it apart for it was struck together [.] I left things in my knapsack that if I had known we was agoing to leave them for good I should have brought with me [.] I left your likeness there (her picture) & in fact every thing but my testament (his Bible) ~ I brought that as we was just agoing to have small prayer meeting as we started ~ tell father the Eld Sayr the Universalist preacher that used to preach to the Centre is our Chaplin bu we have had no Sundays since we left Mohawk ~ we generally have more to do Sunday than any other day but I must close [.] I would like to be home a day or two now untill I got rested out [.] I tell you yesterday I would have given all my bounty money to have been back home again & it was so with the whole Company ~ we have been rushed through like old Soldiers & oh I was so tired & my duties as an officer is very heavy ~ when I felt like falling down I had to keep cheering the men on & keep them from leaving the ranks but don't you tell anyone I was homesick for as I begin to feel better & getting rested I get over it ~ The 43rd NY Regt is stationed within within a few rods of us [.] Hank Stockings - Herbert Smalls wife's brother is amongst them he was in our Camp yesterday feeling pretty good [.]  I tell you the Old Soldiers are looking tough all burnt up & Clothes dirty and torn ~ I hope we never will look so ~ if we do you will not know me [.] I am badly burnt up now ~ this Southern Sun takes bad [,] it burns in one day all to pieces ~ now I want you to write to me immediately & if I cannot not answer your letters whit it (sic) will be because I have not the opportunity of so doing [.] I have not heard from home since we left Mohawk & I would like to hear also send me 2 or 3 Envelopes [.] I can take this book for writing paper ~ we probably will have to march again to day although we are settled for the day ~ it may be we shall not ~ I hope not at least ~ but I must stop now ~ take good care of yourself & baby & kiss him for me & write to me as often as you can for I can't write again untill I get some Envelopes for we shall not see our knapsacks again in several weeks if ever at least untill the Campaign ~ now in case of a battle here I shall be very near it if not in it & I hope I shall come out all safe if not God will take care of me now Good bye God Bless you"

                                           direct to Sergeant P.R. Woodcock
                                            Washington D C
                                            Co. E. 121st Regt NYV
                                             Care of Capt Campbell

Next post--September 11, 1862, Maryland, hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment