The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sunday's Just Aren't the Same as Home

Yesterday, I challenged you all to read his letter along with me...
how did you do?

Philip continued his January 10 letter with mention of sharing his pancakes:

"Jim Cusler came over to see me just in time to get some of them[.] George has been trying to get over here but it is not very easy for him to get a pass he is about 3 miles from here they are down to Belle Plains Landing where we were encamped before the Battle of Fredericksburgh[.]"

And describes his Saturday:
"To day is washing day with us & we have no drill of course we have to clean up for tomorrow Sunday inspection[.] We had services last Sunday he came out for that first time & avowed himself a regular Universalist" (my g-g grandfather was a devout Baptist) "he preached mostly upon the number of Deaths we were having & upon the fear of Death he exhorted the men to stand firm in battle & to be not afraid of sickness & death in Camp for death he sincerely believed was a change for the better for all not one but all every man goes to heaven ~ he forgot to point us to a Savior & tell us to love him: but I must close I wish you could have heard him he does one good thing & that is he gets our mail for us every day we have a regular daily mail now[.] I am very glad my boy is proving himself so smart but I always thought he took after me[.] (Proud father...)God grant that we may live to see each other all again but I think we shall through his mercy[.] Try & take good care of yourself & baby [.] Remember me to all friends to Mart Way (?) & the Church[.] May God Bless you & me & take care of us is my only wish[.]


Yours

P R Woodcock

Harrison Van Horne has resigned"

Obviously Philip's strong devotion to God shines through in these letters.  You will see that throughout his career in the Army and it served him well to keep him strong in spirit.


And a look at his diary from that week previous.  Equally tough to read!

So how did you do reading his letter?

Tomorrow, come back for January 22, 1863 in the "Camp in the Woods I don't know where".

Hope to see you then!





No comments:

Post a Comment