The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Focus on the Battles

Yesterday, Labor Day here in America,
I had the opportunity to get out with part of my family and enjoy the local gardens of Lasdon Park, Arboretum and Veterans Memorial.  It was a wonderful treat and although quite hot here, the gardens and shade trees were sublime.  We wandered down through a haunting trail with the busts of soldiers from every American War, plus two larger installations for the Korean & Vietnam vets.  I snapped a pic of the Civil War

bust.  As I continue on my manuscript, I am aware that some of these posts are long and I imagine somewhat tedious to read, but it helps me put myself in some sort of organized form.


That being said, I'm going to turn away from the actual posting of his day-to-day letters (for a time) and focus on some of the major battles that he fought in, primarily the dates of August 21, 1864 - September 22, 1864.  
A one month span that roughly matches our calendar now, 150 years ago!  I will start tomorrow with his involvement and letters/diaries from The Battle of Charlestown, August 21, 1864.  

I hope you will continue to join me on Philip's journey and his great narration of his life in the Union Army.  
















Hope to see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment