The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Monday, January 5, 2015

A Brief Word from Brother George

A few letters from various relatives are in this collection also.  I thought I'd put in one short letter from Philips's brother George today.  It was written to Roby (Philips's wife) on March 7th, 1863.  George's handwriting is beautiful:


"Camp near Pratts Point - Va
Feb March 7th-/63

Sister Roby

     Your kind letter came to hand last night - & I was very glad to hear from you[.] We are as well as..." (not sure of this word here...looks like vaval or several but it's difficult to make out) " 
I received a note from Phil last - night he was well & had just received his box he said it opened good I was first-a-going over to see him today had my pass all right - when it had to rain and my celebrations were all knocked in the head but I shall go tommorrow  (sic) if it does not rain[.]"

That's the entire first page!  Big difference between the brother's content and amount of information.  His second page reads as this:

"Our Lieutenant has just started for home on a furlough.  My Box or the contents were (except the dried fruit - mostly spoiled it was so long on the road & not having any air is what made it - I guess.  There has been a number of the boys belonging to the 76th that have been court-martialled (sic)  they take their pay & bounty away from them[,] it must be fun for them to soldier it for nothing[.]  I guess that they wish that they had stood by the Regiment[.]"

And the third page:

"I presume that by the time that this
reaches you that you will have been & got back from St Johnsville (?)  I hope that you had a good visit.  As I am not acquainted with John Frank or Ben Leeland I have nothing to say with regard to them only ask Sarah if she can not do something for her county by persuading them enlist & help put down this rebellion[.]  But I must close.  My love to all write soon
Yours with much Love
Geo P Woodcock"

And very much like Philip, there is a postscript written up the side of the page:

"What is the matter with Miranda that she does not write to me" [?]

George has a very different tone to his letter and almost a "gossipy" feel to it or perhaps I'm reading too much into it.  He certainly sounds somewhat suspicious of Roby and Sarah visiting with two men that he doesn't know!

I'll include more details about George and his personal life in my next post.

Hope to see you then!





No comments:

Post a Comment