The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"A Little History Known" and written...is difficult!

When my great great grandfather wrote to Roby that he was keeping his diary and letters so that a "little history" would be "known" and obviously remembered through it--he embarked on a huge journey and with my decision to craft it into a book, so did I.  I did not appreciate the monumental task involved in that though and the time constraints of my own personal life and work.  That being said, I'm still committed to get this into print but I've decided to take a different approach.  Seeing that he wrote about 600 letters over his nearly four years at war and each letter is about 4 pages long on average, well, you do the math...yep--that's nearly 2,400 pages of text we have!  Not to mention the diaries and muster rolls, so in all fairness to you readers and myself, I've decided to go in a different route.  I'm going to put them together by year.  1862-63 will be one book, 1864 another and finally 1865.  This seems so much more manageable and possibly much more desirable for printing purposes. Stay tuned for the progress of this project.

In the meantime, continue to catch up with his letters and story because at the end of the day...that's what he wanted...he kept up his letters so that "a little history would be known"...I hope you'll continue to join me on his journey!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment