The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Sunday, December 13, 2015

It's About Time

Please forgive me readers--I left you hanging!  I'll finish up his letter of March 28-30 today and that finishes the month of March 1863!  Finally, another chapter in the book will be done.  Thanks for riding along with me.

And now, March 30th, 1863:



"Mch 30th 1863

Dear Roby

I am well this morning  [illegible illegible] bad headache.  I am sorry to dissapoint you on coming home now as I cannot come no more furloughs are granted.  I tell you it was a great dissapointment to me I was all ready to come when we got the order I had made great calculations on seeing you all this week but never mind.  Nubern & I are coming home next fall or as soon as furloughs are granted again ~ I had company again yesterday.  Bruce and Jim Custer was over to see me and we had a good time.  George was well.  Bill Woolest (?) has been very sick, we did not think he would live but he is better, now Bruce & Jim had their pictures taken I guess before they went home.  The 1st Corps has not moved yet as we  supposed.  Nubern & I are agoing over there this week if we can get a pass ~ Haven't you got my money yet ~ it is too bad if that gets lost but I hope [ink smudge] this you have got it I sent by mail $20.00 to you.  write to me soon, give my love to all & keep your share.  Kiss little Georgie for his papa.  Write soon
From your ever true husband  P R Woodcock"

There is also a post script written upsidedown again.  It's a bit odd ~

"I send you in this my vaccination scab it is a good healthy one & it may do you some good if mother dont want it throw it away.  Small pox is all gone here & the surgeons dont want it"

So of course, I needed to research that.  It seems that when the smallpox vaccine was invented, it was thought that the scabs would protect other people from smallpox when rubbed on the skin.  It was in the hope of transmitting the vaccine through the skin, a person would build up an immunity.  This unfortunately proved fatal to none-other than Benjamin Franklin's 4 year old son.  Please Google "vaccination scabs" for further information.  

So there you have it ~ March 1863 Completed!  Please join again when I start April shortly.

Until next time!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment