The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Monday, February 9, 2015

Keeping Track

I thought I'd start today with a military record of Philip that my grandmother (Roby Woodcock Abercrombie) wrote in 1972.  It's a great record of his career and it has certainly helped me in keeping track of the dates & battles.  After that, there is a small excerpt from his first letter of 1865 with more to follow in the upcoming Countdown to Surrender!


The Military Record of Philip R. Woodcock
b. 1840 - d. 1913
Enlisted as Private July 23, 1862, Springfield, N.Y.
August 1862- Promoted to Corporal at Camp Schuylor Mohawk, NY
February 22, 1865 - Promoted and commissioned 1st Lieutenant 
(Transferred to command of Co. "I", same regiment.)
June 25, 1865 - Received Honorable Discharge by General Order of War Department.

List of Highlights of Engagements:

  • Sept. 16-17, 1862 ~Antietam, Maryland
  • December 1862 ~ Fredericksburg, VA
  • May 3, 1863 ~ St. Marye's Heights & Salem Church, VA
  • July 2-3, 1863 ~ Gettysburg, PA
  • November 7, 1863 ~ Rappahannock Station, VA
  • November 28, 1863 ~ Mine Run, VA (Orange County)
  • May 5 & 6, 1864 ~ Wilderness, VA (Orange County)
  • May 10-12, 1864 ~ Spottsylvania, VA
  • June 1, 1864 ~ Cold Harbor, VA
  • July 1, 1864 ~ Petersburg, VA
  • August 21, 1864 ~ Charlestown VA (Shenandoah Valley)
  • September 19, 1864 ~ Winchester, VA
  • September 22, 1864 ~ Fisher's Hill VA (wounded - 4 months inactive)
  • February 4, 1865 ~ Petersburg, VA
  • February 6, 1865 ~ Battle Hatch's Run, VA
  • April 2-3, 1865 ~ Petersburg, VA
  • April 9, 1865 ~ Present at Surrender at Appomattox
(Also in 14 minor engagements and skirmishes)

Wow!

As the war wound down in 1865, my great-great grandfather wrote 41 letters home to Roby (at least, that's what we have from that shoebox of letters!)  He wrote on January 1, 1865 from York, PA a long four page, legal sized paper, letter to her.  He ruminates on this being his last New Year's in the Army:


"York Pa Jan 1st/65

My Dear Wife

According to promise I write you again today I dont know but you will receive both of these at one time but I dont care[.]  I saw Dr Mintzer today & he said I coud go to my Regiment tomorrow morning so I will soon bid good bye in Little York Hospital where I have been bumming long enough..." (Please see my post from Oct. 3rd to detail his injuries.  He was in the hospital for approximately 3-4 months.) "It is New Years day & I would a good deal rather spend it with you than here[.]  We had a Stew for Dinner but nothing extra ~ This will be the last New Years I probably shall spend in the Army.  I hope so at any rate but know (sic) one but God can tell how or where we will be next New Years.  I hope we shall have a happy & pleasant one & be reunited again never to be seperated (sic) on earth.  The weather is cool with a little sleighing (not sure if that is the correct word.  It would seem to mean in context "sleeting".) I had no pass & could not go to church today but I shall go to night if nothing serious happens ~ The Doctor did not hardly fancy letting me go but when I made my statement he gave his consent readily ~ They had strange doing here in the street last night[.]  It sounded like 4th of July ~ Everybody was shooting & firing off revolvers to shoot the old year out ~ a practice which is in vogue here to a great extent, it sounded like skirmishing ~ I am agoing to write to Capt Cronkite today to let him know I soon shall be there ~ I hope I shall get that commission imediatly (sic)[.]"

I'll stop there for today.  Come back for the continuation of his New Year and see how the wounded men celebrated in the Sleeping Room!

Hope to see you then!




No comments:

Post a Comment