The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pure Love

Because I started this blog with the intent to show the great depth of love shared between my great great grandparents, I thought it fitting to put a small excerpt from his letter of January 1st, 1865 into a separate post.  Here is the paragraph that stood out to me so much from that letter:

"I have done nothing but think of you all the last week I did have a notion to apply for a Short furlough but it would not pay ~ Maybe Phil Van Horne & I will send for our better halves this winter although it is doubtfull we shall have [action or a clean?] operation[s] all the time probably & I am sorry you are homesick although is a pleasure to know it is on my account, it shows me that you bear an affection as strong as my own ~ Roby I cannot be too thankfull that I ever saw you[,] You have always been a blessing to me[.]  I do not think that no other woman could ever gained the influence over me for my good that you have and by Gods help I will try and keep worthy of you ...I can never regret the fate that brought us together (Instead of calling it Fate I shall call it Providence) I cherish the hope that you Love me and one another will never wear out and I trust that many years of happiness yet awaits us in which a life time of devotion will repay you for the Love you have shown me..."

I have absolutely nothing to add to that today...it speaks volumes.

Please join me again for the end of the letter (that has taken me 4 posts to get done!)

Hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment