The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Saturday, June 11, 2016

This Project is Larger Than Life...

"I had a narrow escape this morning by a shot..."

My personal, comfortable, 2016 life has nothing to compare with that statement above.  I realize I'm moving slowly on this project, but with each reading of letters, I am so taken in by his words that it takes me awhile to get through them.  I decided to post a few pictures of just exactly how much I've got to go through--

1864 Letters

Some of May 1863 Letters



My working file of 1863 letters


...numerous three-ring binders full of Philip's letters (copies of course, the originals are being kept in a safe deposit box, climate controlled to keep them in good shape!)


Every time I go to the next letter, this 
is what I face! There is another large binder with 1865's letters and numerous folders with his roll call diaries and personal diaries.  Philip was a prolific writer!  The excerpt above was taken from his letter of May 2, 1863 written on the battlefield in Fredricksburg, VA.  He is "under arms" and entrenched, but still wrote to Roby.  Fearing he might not make it through, he signs it:  "Hoping I shall live through it I bid you good Bye.  God bless and keep you one kiss for you and Georgie.  Yours ever Love, P.R. Woodcock"
May 1863 and some diaries

Philip's Diary (one of about 5 or 6)

















Keep joining me for this writing journey!

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment