The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Friday, October 27, 2017

Preparing to March

"...I don't know when our point of attack will be..."

I'm back and on to the second half of Philip's letter of April 14th.  He continued his letter at 7pm...prepping for battle:

"7 oclock P M Apr 14 ~1863

I have dealt out 8 days rations which makes the boys grumble a good deal for they used to think that 8 days were killing them off but we have to put 5 days in our knapsacks that is what made us throw away our clothing but I boxed mine up and shall leave it in the street with some others and maybe they will take care off it but it is getting late and I have some other letters to write(.)  I will have to close I dont know when our point of attack will be but one days march will bring us right in the midst of the Rebs unless we go up to Culpper  Culpepper and Gordonsville then (?)





it will be 3 early (could say "only") days(.)  (O)ur Cavalry went yesterday and some troops have moved tonight ~ I shall try and write you again before we come into action but if I should not, you be prepared for anything because before next Saturday might a good many of us will be sleeping one last sleep in Virginia ~ but through the mercy of God I hope to come through safe(.)  I know I had not ought to write to you of what may be but I cant help it(.)  I wish just as I feel but I must close(.) I will write again the first opportunity ~ May God bless you write soon my Dear Roby if I fall meet me where we shall be eternally happy(.)  Pray for me(.)  Kiss Georgie for me once more my darling wife(.)  Good bye  God bless you


Yours Ever True husband  P R Woodcock



Philip's heartfelt words at the end of the letter haunt me from the past: 

"I know I had not ought to write to you of what may be...."

"If I fall, meet me where we shall be eternally happy..."

"Good bye.  God Bless You."



Philip did make it home...but it was a long two years later...

Until next time ~  thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment