The letters and diaries of Lieutenant Philip R. Woodcock
121st Regiment, New York State Infantry
"Upton's Regulars"
September 4, 1862-November 9, 1865

Friday, October 27, 2017

Love from the Trenches

"...it is but a simple tribute to one I love..."

When I started this journey with my blog, I had the intention of uncovering not only the history of this time but the emotions.  Many of Philip's letters revealed not only his longing for home and family but of his deep love for Roby.  I titled this series "My Dearest Roby" simply because she was that to him and so much more.  

This next group of letters express that undying love and it starts with an official "Soldiers' Memento" at the top of which Philip has written:

"Gen Joseph E. Hookers"....Army for the Union, Sixth Corps, first Division" 

(for more information on Major General Hooker )


Check in again to read the letter next time....







No comments:

Post a Comment